Isinya is one seven administrative divisions of the Kajiado District, part of the Rift Valley Province in the southern part of Kenya. Isinya, located at -1.67 latitude, 36.85 longitude (source), is 60 miles (100km) south of Nairobi and 9 miles (15km) north of Kajiado, the capital of the district.
Local groups and organizationsEdit
The Maasai AIDS Awareness Programme, established in Isinya in 1995, aims to reduce HIV/AIDS in this area.
The Isinya Community Wildlife Association manages a 50-acre trustland which may be developed for tourism.
The Women's Economic Empowerment Consort (WEEC) is a microfinance training programme for women in Isinya and other areas of Kenya. WEEC partners with Kiva to allow loans to be made over the Internet to economically active rural women in Kenya. (See women's businesses in need in Africa on Kiva.)
Also in the Kajiado DistrictEdit
- The other six divisions of the Kajiado District are Kajiado Central, Magadi, Ngong, Mashuru, Loitokitok, and Namanga. (source)
- The Amboseli Reserve is in the Kajiado District.
- A high proportion of the district lies in the Nyiri Desert.
- Kajiado is the capital town of the Kajiado district.
- Kitengela is a plain in this district.